We do not use sprays for weeds or pests, or synthetic fertilizers.
We welcome interest in our methods and are always
looking for ways to improve and to better communicate what we do. At the
end of the day what we advocate is to get to know your farmer and build
a relationship of trust. We personally sell the majority of our
products and have spent many years gaining the trust of our customers.
The following is a rough outline of our methods and our goals going
Our goal as a farm is to grow and distribute our products without the use of fossil fuels and zero waste. We have a ways to go but we get closer each year.
In 2019 we will be pursuing Organic certification!! We are excited about this step. Though we have always been organically minded it will be nice to formalize it. We always strive to progress and look forward to working with a great and generous network of farmers.
• composted local chicken manure
• Gaia fertilizers
• oyster shell and lime
We believe that if you build a healthy soil, you will have healthy plants that are resistant to disease and pests. We apply fertilizers so they are used by the crops and do not create runoff.
We rotate our crops and use cover crops to build soil and prevent erosion.
We use only drip irrigation to conserve water and power.
We use various mulches extensively. This greatly reduces weeding and watering. In our long term beds we still use plastic landscape fabric, but for strawberries and annuals we use cardboard and wood chips.
We have taken many steps to Reduce our Carbon Footprint:
• All the products we sell at the Comox Valley Farmers Market are delivered by bicycle!
• All field work is done by hand.
• We have made numerous updates to the farm house for energy efficiency, such as installing a heat pump and insulating walls and ceilings.
• We plant a few trees every year around the farm.
• We only use half of our land with the rest being mixed pasture/trees.
• We have started to use bio-degradable
bags and other than a few small exceptions (ie. small ziplocs for tomato
seed) we are basically plastic-free in our packaging.